Nalin,

Somethings I wish to point out after extensive usage of GIT and I will
change the terminology a bit, by referring to folders as directories.
So for example if you have a folder $HOME/sample_repo, and you do,

vim x (write "Hello")
vim y (write "World")

you do
git add -A
and then you do
git commit -a -m "Sample commit 1"

Then you do

mkdir abc
git mv x abc/x
git mv y abc/y

git add -A
git commit -a -m "Sample commit 2"

Few things.

   - git diff, git show etc are not stored in git, they are generated when
   you execute the command. So essentially, currently git show HEAD will tell
   you in last commit you deleted the file x (which included deleting the line
   "Hello")and created a new file with content "Hello", same for y. Git diff,
   doesn't have a file x in parent dir in this commit to find diff.
   - Git doesn't store commits, it stores a snapshot. So for example if you
   have 100 files and you make 100 commits, git stores 10,000 files (in a
   compressed manner).
   - Commits are never lost, and if you have checked out another branch and
   can't see some commit, you can always do a git reflog.

As Shakthi said, if you tell us your complete scenario, we might suggest
something. I personally follow the following structure in my repo
directories.

$HOME/git_repo_co
.git
src/
extlib/
release/
etc/
notes/
Install
Makefile

Where release is git-ignored, and I spit my binaries into release/bin/

All source files are tracked int src/
May be this helps.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthim...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> --- On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Nalin Savara <nsn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> | Hence ; if my files were in:
> | /sdkpath/samples/helloWorld
> |
> | only the folder "helloWorld" I made into git repos-- and repeatedly
> |
> | Now; I want to make changes to the parent tree also-- and commit the
> entire
> | parent tree to a GIT main repository-- eg: bitbucket.
> \--
>
> Firstly, you need to stop thinking in terms of files and folders.
>
> Git doesn't track folders, but, content changes. Give us the big
> picture. What is your workflow like, and why do you want to keep
> moving the folders?
>
> SK
>
> --
> Shakthi Kannan
> http://www.shakthimaan.com

Thank you...

*Amar Akshat (アマール)*

 *"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy
if both are frozen."*