From: Ambar Roy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 1:07 PM
To: multiple recipients of
Subject: Re: [ilugd]: does getting RHCE makes job prospects better?

> >i want to ask here is:
> >whether RHCE makes getting a good job esaier?
>
> sorry for disheartning comments dear friend, but the law of jungle says
that you get higher salaries to work on expensive equipment only.

> RH is free, Intel equipment is cheap so the salaries of a systemadmin
working in such a system is less, however good he is.

> Solaris is expensive and so are sun servers, as a result Solaris sysadmins
get better salaries even if they are half as good as a
> linux sysadmin.
>
> Any comments
One small addition:
    Microsoft is not free, and microsoft servers are everywhere, so the MCSE
who doesn't know anything can still get a job while a RHCE Guru or an avg
Solaris admin is searching for jobs where they can apply their skills.

    Also note that if you are going to be a sysadmin, then you can never
escape microsoft machines. I have seen very few places where they don't
require you to know about microsoft systems. This includes most shops where
Linux/solaris is used! Though typically if you do know linux or solaris, you
will also know enough of microsoft technologies to take up a job as an
nt/win2k admin.

    I know that this is a linux list, and it is being used to promote linux,
but i will say that with the current market scenario, if you are intrested
in becoming a sysadmin, first get an MCSE. Then get any other certifications
you are intrested in. Because nothing stops an MCSE from knowing Linux!

Bye,