On 9/22/11 8:45 AM, Charlie Clark wrote:
Am 22.09.2011, 14:20 Uhr, schrieb Alex Clark <acl...@aclark.net>:

Right, in other words if I understand you correctly any internal
patches should only be applied if they directly correspond to previous
or upcoming changes in PIL itself. Even then, the preferred approach
would be to bulk-import the next PIL release into Pillow (and replace
the 1.1.7 release code).

Personally, I would like to see *no* internal changes in Pillow. It
should just be the pip/easy_install compatible form of PIL, hopefully
folded back in when distutils2 rules the waves.

Roger that.

So, this issue should be filed against PIL where we can track it
appropriately (whether that means we wait for a new PIL release then
re-package it, or cherry pick and include specific things we know will
be in the next PIL release would depend on the circumstances.)

The bug preferably with tests and patch should be passed upstream and if
necessary another release of PIL cut. That would fit my definition of
playing nicely with Fredrik's hard work.

I have no problem with, and I am interested in passing bugs upstream. And indeed Pillow aims to be the "friendly" PIL fork :-). My concern (in this case) lies with the release cycle. If I can get a fix into Pillow and release it to PyPI within 24 hours, then I am strongly tempted to do so.

However, I certainly don't want to be irresponsible or disrespectful. So if I did do this, I'd probably try to have a "good" explanation (something along the lines of "this is going into PIL 1.1.8 anyway").

Another issue I just remembered: one of the things I'm tempted to do with Pillow is research Python 3 compatibility. I suspect with the "freedom" of the fork we might be able to produce some beta Pillow releases that work on Python 3 (after doing all the hard work, of course). This development would also be available to go upstream into PIL as needed or desired.

BTW. Could you update the docs of Pillow to point to MacPorts or Brew as
well as Fink for managing the required libraries?

I have a ticket for this but haven't had a chance to work on it yet:

- https://github.com/collective/Pillow/issues/1

If anyone on this list has any direct and/or current experience with MacPorts or Fink please feel free to send a pull request. I have used all three and I currently use Brew, but I'm not sure what the instructions for Brew would look like because I never use it to install Pillow.

And it would be nice
if we could get Pillow to hook up to the Windows binaries if possible.

The latest Pillow has a Windows binaries volunteer, if that helps. You can download various win32 binaries for py2.4-py2.7 here:

- http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/1.7.5

Alex

Charlie

--