On 11/16/11 8:58 AM, Maxime Haineault wrote:
Hello,

I've been dealing with an annoying bug in PIL for almost a year, so I
decided to report it since it seem
pretty easy to fix and I can't understand why it hasn't been addressed yet.

Please report it here:

- https://bitbucket.org/effbot/pil-2009-raclette/issues/new

First a little background on how it occurs. My system is running 64bit
Ubuntu Desktop and the bug occurred
on 10.10, 11.04 and 11.11. I use PIL in my Django projects and I use pip
& virtualenv to install my python packages.

On a new system installation I invariably get the same result. PIL gets
compiled normally, but the package using it
all breaks. A little digging shows that at compile time PIL states that
Jpeg support is not available even if it is installed
on the system.

After a lot of trial and errors and searching in forums I found a
workaround that works every time:

$: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so /usr/lib/
$: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so /usr/lib/
$: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so /usr/lib/

I guess I don't have much explaining to do on what's going wrong at
compile time or why this problem doesn't occur on
32bits systems.

You can try Pillow (PIL fork), it may be fixed there already:

- http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/1.7.5

Alex

Regards,

--