Alexey,

>> * 5 EXISTS
>> * 3 EXPUNGE
>> * 4 EXISTS
> The last EXISTS response should not be sent in this case, as it doesn't change
> the number of messages.

I question this. There is no argument that the second EXISTS is redundant, no argument that without the EXPUNGE it would be invalid. However, as I understand things, it is not actually wrong as shown.

I note that RFC 3501 says, "The EXPUNGE response also decrements the number of messages in the mailbox; it is not necessary to send an EXISTS response with the new value." It is not necessary but it is not disallowed.

I ask this question not to be picky but because my IMAP server will, in certain circumstances, send redundant EXISTS responses. And I have never seen any problem because of this. Now I am wondering if this is something one should be careful to avoid.

Pete Maclean