On Monday, Sep 15, 2003, at 19:14 Europe/Helsinki, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Timo Sirainen writes:
If I send:

x LIST "" foo/%

and "foo" is a selectable mailbox with children, should the reply contain \NoSelect flag for "foo/" entry? ie. are the flags for "foo" mailbox, or (invalid) "foo/" mailbox?

That client is asking information about mailboxes whose names start with "foo/" and contain exactly one "/", right?

Yes.

"foo" does not match that, so why should the server mention "foo" at all?

"foo" doesn't, but "foo/" does match.

"foo/" is just one of the umpteen million possible names that don't actually correspond to a mailbox. Why should the server mention any of them?

Because it's required:

http://www.washington.edu/imap/listarch/current/msg00284.html

Actually another question about that: Should "foo/" be listed if "foo" doesn't actually exist, but it has children?

I was just fixing my Maildir++ LIST code to send those. It's quite a lot of work actually. BTW other servers than UW-IMAP don't seem to send it. Some clients also break with it, such as Mozilla 1.2 (1.4 seemed fine).