On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Mark Crispin wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Rob Siemborski wrote:
> > While I think its somewhat bizarre to report a leaf mailbox that is
> > \NoSelect and doesn't have any children, I can atleast appreciate why this
> > is necessary in some environments.  However, as you say, such a case does
> > not apply to all servers (and since Timo's original question was about a
> > dual-use mailbox your statement seemed much broader than I guess you
> > intended).
>
> OK, so we agree that it is necessary behavior in some environments.  Do we
> also agree that even in those environments in which it is unnecessary and
> arguably extraneous, it is harmless?

I suppose this depends on your definition of harmless.  I wouldn't want a
server that doesn't do this declared at all noncompliant.

I do not believe it is harmless in pathological cases like LIST "*/%"
where the output could be needlessly doubled by such behavior.  Of course,
this is a pathological case.

> I agree that there is probably no reason for a client to care whether foo/
> is returned for foo/% when there are children; and thus, if the server
> does not have the \NoSelect w/ no children case, it's probably alright if
> the server omits foo/ from the list.

Indeed, I'd argue such a server (which does not have the \NoSelect with no
children case) is equally correct with an implementation that does not
omit foo/ from the list, since none of this special treatment of trailing
hierarchy delimiters (outside of CREATE) is discussed in the protocol
specifications.

> This sounds like we may have the start of material for yet another
> installation of an IMAP folklore (a.k.a. "implementation recommendations")
> document.  It seems that there are quite a few questions which don't
> become clear without considering environments other than your own.  It's
> probably unreasonable to make all implementors think all of these through.

I think this is reasonable regardless.  IMAP is a very complicated
protocol, documentation to make good implementations easier to create is
always welcome.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski | Andrew Systems Group * Research Systems Programmer
PGP:0x5CE32FCC | Cyert Hall 207 * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * 412.268.7456