Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Mark Crispin writes:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Rob Siemborski wrote:

If I do a LIST "" "INBOX/%", and I have no sub-mailboxes in my INBOX, "INBOX" does not match the pattern -- it is missing the trailing hierarchy separator.

However, "INBOX/" does; and if INBOX is not \NoInferiors then that name should be shown.

The "matching levels of hierarchy" text is, of course, referring to sub-hierarchies (so that "INBOX.bar" gets displayed if "INBOX.bar.foo" exists).

There is nothing in RFC 3501 that says that the first level of hierarchy is different from subsequent levels of hierarchy.

Right. But the _matching_ level of hierarchy is surely the one that matches the wildcard being discussed. Seems clear enough: «The character "%" is similar to "*", but it does not match a hierarchy delimiter. If the "%" wildcard is the last character of a mailbox name argument, matching levels of hierarchy are also returned.»

So for the command LIST "" "INBOX/%", when the only mailboxes in existence are INBOX and INBOX/a/b, the level of hierarchy matched by "%" is "a", and INBOX/a must be returned.

Agreed. What is being discussed is whether INBOX/ must also be returned.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127