From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Stuart Nicholson
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 11:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FLAGS vs PERMANENTFLAGS

Greetings, my first post here so an brief intro: I'm the developer
building
IMAP client support for SnapperFish. We're responsible for 'SnapperMail'
(www.snappermail.com) a wireless email client for PalmOS based devices.

Question: How well honoured are FLAGS vs PERMANENTFLAGS in the IMAP
community? Is PERMANENTFLAGS overdesign that actually isn't used in the
wild
that often? Do other clients actually only honour FLAGS and disregard
PERMANENTFLAGS?

Is ask beause our IMAP client is currently coded closely to RFC3501 in
this
respect however we've received a number of reports from users of servers
that persistently return empty (i.e. "PERMANENTFLAGS ()") responses
while
still allowing the flags in FLAGS to be permanently set on messages in
the
mailbox. This seems in direct violation to the RFC however other IMAP
clients happily set flags on these particular servers.

Is it worth just relaxing our client on this point hence disregarding
PERMANENTFLAGS and simply relying on FLAGS and the READ-WRITE/READ-ONLY
folder property?

Thanks,

Stuart Nicholson
www.snappermail.com