>Can anyone point me to any RFC's that may specify that mail servers should
>have properly configured DNS including reverse delegation.

>RFC's.  I am  seeing a lot of rejects since I enabled the reject unknown
>client feature last week to stop a heap of spam getting past my IMGATE
>boxes.  I now need to make a decision whether to leave the config as is or
>take out my changes.

most MXs would like to but can't reject_unknown_client because too many
legit servers have no PTR.  I think that makes the no-PTR servers illegit.
They are  illegit by AOL's policies.

>Believe it or not, even one of the banks does not have reverse delegation
>for at least one of their mail servers. If we can't get the big companies to
>maintain their DNS what chance do we have for the small companies.

none. The large %age of legit servers with bad (but simple and old) PTR is
why the new, and more complicated SPF is dead in the water as a basis for
rejecting mail.

Len