>relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients

ok

>2) If I'm using permit_mx_backup on my IMgate, is it strictly necessary
>that each and every domain with mx backup also have an entries in
>relay_recipients?

in to_relay_recipients.map:

@mxdomain.tld ok

... excepts the domain from recipient_map checking.

>Reason being that we do backup for some domains that I do not have and
>cannot easily get a list of valid users (e.g. remote MTA is basically a
>client's unadministered Exchange box).

reject_unverified_recipient could run after check_recipient_maps.  I assume
the bulk of your recipients are known, so the bulk of rejects would get
stopped by check_recipient_maps.  the backup mx domains would then get
protected with reject_unverified_recipient.

Len