Rajesh ji and Srikant ji

My further scrutiny of Fimbristylis lawiana gave me Scirpus lawianus Boeck
(basionym), Trichelostylis digitata Dalzell ex Boeck and Fimbristylis
digitata Boeck as its synonyms. I went through the description of F.
digitata in FBI vol 6, page 648.

It goes like this: Glabrous, Stems 2-5 in., bristle-like base bulbous,
leaves as long as 1/2 stem, bristle-like; bracts 2-1, shorter than head;
spikelets 3-8, 1/4-1/2 by 1/12-1/8 in, 6-18 fld, straw-colrd. in a
subterminal head glumes ovate-oblong, scarcely acute, keeled, chaffy, nearly
1-colrd. style 3-fid, nearly as long as nut, glabrous, deciduous with small
pyramidal style-base, branches linear; nut obovoid smooth straw colrd.
finally brownish, as long as 1/2 glume, sessile, round-trigonous, obtuse at
tip.
      I wonder if our plant is F. lawiana, how could the white colour of
spikes and styles was ignored by original authors. Also the leaves seem to
be much broader and not bristle-like.
       Let us continue our struggle with this plant.

Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/