Thanks Pascal --

I tried your config changes, but they didn't make any difference.  Turns out
it was a compilation option that was set on my OpenLDAP installation - the
SASL in OpenLDAP was conflicting with the SASL in Cyrus.  (See my other post
to the list for details...)

Now I'm playing with configs, and it appears that my /etc/pam.d/imap works
just the same as when I put your suggested changes in.  But your version
looks much more robust, so I'm going to go with it.  But I hate to just
blindly do stuff without understanding, so I was hoping you could shed a
little light (I'm a PAM newbie) on why you chose the PAM options as you did.

Again, thanks for your help!!!

--Josh