> Okay, we just did that and we are still having problems.  Mail can be
> delivered to the INBOX just fine, but a "user+mbox@address" causes a
> user unknown error and bounces the message back.

That is quite natural because user+something does not exists on passwd.

I think that you can not write configuration
when address is
        user+something@address

1)
        user is looked for passwd (for .forward lookup)

but

2)
        RCPT TO:<user+something>

is written as recipient when mail is send via LMTP.

(Although I perhaps should check some details.)

If you want user+something@address .forward prosessing then you need
use deliver

(however you can still pass user@address via LMTP ...)

--
          /"\                           |  Kari
          \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign |    Hurtta