Scott Russell wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 10:24:59AM -0400, Scott Adkins wrote:
> > --On Friday, September 07, 2001 9:11 AM +0200 Carsten Hoeger
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > No, of course not.
> >
> > Maybe just a *little* more description would help :->  Anyways, deliver
> > is nothing more than a wrapper that connects to the LMTP socket itself.
> > The deliver program doesn't actually do the delivery anymore.  So, the
> > effect is the same...
>
> This is what I've read here on the lists myself. What prompted me to ask was
> the switches that deliver takes. For example deliver takes a switch to turn
> off duplicate email suppression.

Not any more (it accepts it, but it doesn't do anything).

> Obviously I cannot pass switches to my lmtp
> socket...

Well...  See http://www.imc.org/draft-murchison-lmtp-ignorequota

This is how the -q option is implemented.  This _might_ change to a
general delivery options method in the future, ie "RCPT
TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> OPTIONS=qae" which would ignore the quota, ignore
the ACL and turn off duplicate supression.

> So if deliver is nothing but a lmtp wrapper and it's no different than doing
> direct lmtp delivery why does deliver take switches for delivery control?

See above.

> Also, will the deliver wrapper be dropped from future releases of cyrus imapd?

If/when all MTAs support LMTP, it _might_ go away.  But, it would still
have value for scripting, etc.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127