Okay, one final try. Is anyone in the world that happens to be on this list
using mysql with cyrus? I can't be the only one. If you do exist, and I'm
happy to see that you do, I have cyrus compiled with mysql support.
Unfortunately, when I try to auth against Cyrus via POP3 or whatever I get
an error that Cyrus can't select the mysql database.

I have imapd.conf with:

sasl_pwcheck_method: mysql
sasl_mysqluser: mail
sasl_mysqlpasswd: secret
sasl_mysqlhost: localhost
sasl_mysqldatabase: mail
sasl_mysqltable: accountuser
sasl_mysqluidcol: username
sasl_mysqlpwcol: password

I've also verified that this information is correct:

freebsd# mysql -u mail -psecret \
? -e 'select username,password from accountuser' mail
+----------+----------+
| username | password |
+----------+----------+
| 0001     | password |
| dom0001  | password |
+----------+----------+

I didn't make any modifications to pam. Should this just work? If I try to
check my mail using:

freebsd# cat .fetchmailrc
poll localhost protocol pop3 username "dom0001" password "password"

With fetchmail I get:

May  1 18:50:11 freebsd pop3d[89212]: badlogin: localhost[::1] CRAM-MD5 no
secret in database
May  1 18:50:11 freebsd pop3d[89212]: badlogin: localhost[::1] plaintext
dom0001 cannot select MySQL database

The first line appears to be pop3d reporting that there is no md5 entry in
the sasl database. Also, notice the 'select MySQL database' issue. (The
fetchmail output is at the bottom of this mail, it's a bit long.) Now, if I
force password authentication I get:

freebsd# fetchmail --auth=password -vvv -c
fetchmail: 5.9.6 querying localhost (protocol POP3) at Wed May  1 18:53:08
2002: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cyrus
POP3 v2.0.16 server ready
fetchmail: POP3> USER dom0001
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Name is a valid mailbox
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Invalid login
fetchmail: Invalid login
fetchmail: Authorization failure on dom0001@localhost
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: 5.9.6 querying localhost (protocol POP3) at Wed May  1 18:53:11
2002: poll completed
fetchmail: normal termination, status 3

But no errors via syslog.

In the first attempt, fetchmail reports:

freebsd# fetchmail -vvv -c
fetchmail: 5.9.6 querying localhost (protocol POP3) at Wed May  1 18:50:08
2002: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cyrus
POP3 v2.0.16 server ready
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK List of capabilities follows
fetchmail: POP3< SASL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE NEVER
fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 0
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
fetchmail: POP3< RESP-CODES
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Cyrus POP3 server v2.0.16
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> AUTH CRAM-MD5
fetchmail: POP3< + PDk3MjA5NDcuMTM2NjQxMDhAZnJlZWJzZC5kcGJveC5kaHMub3JnPg==
fetchmail: POP3> ZG9tMDAwMSA4MDA3ZjM0MDhjNmFjOTgzOWFiMjliNDk5NzNlN2I0NA==
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR authenticating: no secret in database
fetchmail: authenticating: no secret in database
fetchmail: POP3> USER dom0001
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Name is a valid mailbox
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Invalid login
fetchmail: Invalid login
fetchmail: Authorization failure on dom0001@localhost
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: 5.9.6 querying localhost (protocol POP3) at Wed May  1 18:50:14
2002: poll completed
fetchmail: normal termination, status 3

Am I doing something dumb here? I see that cyrus seems to be using native
mysql calls, so I assume I don't need to make any other modifications to my
system? What is going wrong? Any leads? Similar stories?

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
UNIX and Network Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
PGP Key available at http://www.us.pgp.net
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams