hi there,

I've installed Suse 8.1 professional and decided to go from uw imap with shadow authentication to the cyrus server that ship with suse. Well, the thing is: I can't log me in. Although Cyrus is up and running (telnet localhost imap: "cyrus imap4 2.1.9 server ready"), when I try e.g. LOGIN cyrus, it will say LOGIN BAD please login first.

I checked that sasl is running (rcsaslauthd start) and ps -aux will report me 5 "saslauthd -a pam".

Also, i gave cyrus a sasl1 as well as sasl2-entry in the db, using saslpasswd -c cyrus and saslpasswd2 -c cyrus. Anyway, NO LOGIN IS ACCEPTED.
imtest -u cyrus localhost also prompts me for a password, but when i enter the pwd, it will say S: A01 NO Error authenticating Authentication failes. generic failure
Security strength factor: 128

Two more things to mention: in /etc/imapd.conf, the pwcheck is stated to be sasl_pwcheck_method:saslauthd and
my Suse-Cyrus seems to be compiled as if it would not accept shadow-auth, so please don't ask me to trigger that on.

Is this thing trying to authenticate me on sasl or what? is my entry in the sasldb sufficient or do i have to type that somekind of pam frontend? Is there maybe even a default password for the first configuration?

Where is the logfile that tells me why those login-attempts have failed?

thanks in advance,
Jochen