We would like to implement a murder including 2 frontends and 3+ backends in a switched (or vpn) environment. After reading the cyrus-info archives and the documents included in the Cyrus source, we are unclear about the authentication process between the front and the back ends. We would like to avoid using Kerberos if at all possible being as we do not have an existing Kerberos installation. What authentication methods would be best suited for this environment?

--
Anthony Mayes
UNIX Server Administration