To each his own... These sites have no "more knowledgeable" users, and
don't have any intentions of using any MUAs beyond Outlook Express. In
another situation, sure, what you're describing makes sense.

It's never a good idea to assume that all of your users will remain completely clueless...

I guess it depends where you work. I'm unfortunate enough that it's a 99% safe bet at my place of work :-(
"training? What's training?"

I do see your point, but I'd be willing to accept the results if a user /did/ reconfigure their mailer to use the high port. I guess it depends on exactly why you need the delete-prevention.

There is another big advantage to my method - it requires absolutely
no coding, no need to maintain a patchset or attempt to get a patchset
integrated into the distribution.

That's why I was suggesting just moving to a high port - it's simple and there's no coding involved ;-) Nonetheless, it was only an idea - suggested in case it'd work in your environment.

Craig Ringer