On Wed, 05 Jul 2023 11:55:36 -0700 Eric Abrahamsen <e...@ericabrahamsen.net>
wrote:

> On 07/05/23 10:04 AM, Stephen Berman wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Jul 2023 20:50:05 -0700 Eric Abrahamsen <e...@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> wrote:
[...]
>>> Using `nntp-connection-timeout' is the proper fix for this problem, it's
>>> just got a bit of unfortunate behavior that needs to be remedied. I'd be
>>> inclined to start a whole new bug report for a fix for that, because
>>> it's really a new issue, with its own larger-reaching design decisions.
>>> I suppose we could merge #52735 with that, though.
>>
>> Feel free to open a new bug for fixing nntp-connection-timeout.  I don't
>> know if I can help, other than trying out suggestions and providing
>> feedback.  In the meantime I'll keep using my workaround replacement
>> function.
>>
>> But I wonder, could this issue have been triggered by some change in
>> news.gmane.io around early to mid December 2021?  Because that's when
>> the problem start for me, and prior to that I don't recall ever having
>> this problem (perhaps sporadically but not with such persistance).
>
> The nntp-connection-timeout variable has been present and nil since
> 1999. I put my original buggy fix in at the end of October 2021, so that
> seems suspicious, but that should only have had an effect if you had set
> nntp-connection-timeout to something other than the default of nil.

I've never touched nntp-connection-timeout, I only became aware of it
when you mentioned it in this thread.  Also, October 2021 is too early:
the early to mid December date stands out to me because in early
December of that year there was a change in my internet service, and I
started experiencing the Gnus problem soon thereafter.  At first I
thought it might be due to my change in internet service, but the
problem really was and remains only with fetching news with Gnus (and
not with fetching email with Gnus, which I do from different mail
servers).  I also only use news.gmane.io for fetching news, so that's
why I thought maybe something changed there.

> In general it's pretty hard to say, though...

With that I whole-heartedly agree.

Steve Berman