Husain Alshehhi wrote:

>> In a temp buffer, no, but you can access the article buffer
>> using eg `gnus-with-article' or `gnus-with-article-buffer',
>> or even `gnus-with-article-headers' if you only care about
>> the headers.
>
> I suppose that gnus-with-article-buffer works, almost.
> In the case that I am in gnus summary page, with the point
> on an unopened article, when I run the following:
>
>         (defun husain--test-gnus-with-article-buffer()
>           (interactive)
>           (gnus-with-article-buffer
>             (message "%s" (message-fetch-field "Subject"))))
>
> It fails to read the subject. However, it works very well
> after I open the article. I think this solves 95% of the
> cases I run into.

If there isn't an article open, you can do that - with code -
from the summary buffer before you fetch the field. If there
is no article buffer and no summary buffer it is hard to think
of a use case and moreover it will be hard to determine, in
a way that makes sense, what mail or post the user refers to
when hitting the command.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal