From: Fred Avolio
Sent: 04 October 2002 17:43
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [netsec-letter] #21, Securing Cyberspace -- Comments on the
National Strategy

NetSec Letter #21, 2 October 2002
Securing Cyberspace -- Comments on the National Strategy
Fred Avolio, Avolio Consulting, Inc., http://www.avolio.com/

On September 18, the (US) "President's Critical Infrastructure
Protection Board" released a draft for comment of "The National
Strategy to Secure Cyberspace." Security vendors jumped on the band
wagon, bragging about their involvement in the process (as if
involvement from CEOs and Senior VPs will solve security problems).
The government has scheduled "Town Hall" meetings in which the
slightly more educated will hear comments from the uneducated about
this document. This month, I'll make some comments, observations, and
recommendations.

Comments

It is not clear (to me) where they got the ideas for the cyberspace.
Maybe there are references, and I just missed them. Nevertheless, they
are all commonly prescribed good practices. Unfortunately, the reader
will have to sift through a lot of boilerplate and "government-speak,"
an unclear and laborious writing style that attempts to say everything
it possibly can, as if the writer were paid by the word. (Government
writers believe this is necessary, and will not be persuaded
otherwise, thinking that there are special requirements for them.)

Also, it is aimed at the "lowest common denominator" -- the person who
knows nothing about the need for Internet security -- and so goes into
great detail to make the case for the need for computer and network
security. I suspect this is overkill, but for the person who just
arrived from another star system where people are polite and mind
their own businesses, it won't hurt. I recommend anyone who knows
anything about security to just skip to page 61, the "summary of
recommendations." The writers used some old data (the insider threat
at 70% is from a 2 year old study, I believe), but what they say is
mostly correct.

Observations

The document does not recommend government regulation, invoking
federalism. Government will encourage through example and purchasing.
Also, it is primarily an awareness program. This is reminiscent of the
"Smokey Bear" campaign of the USDA Forest Service. Every "boomer
generation" kid knows "Only YOU can prevent forest fires," and knows
that dealing with a campfire, you "drown it, stir, and drown again." I
know it, even though I never, ever camped when a child. Did it help?
Well, *I've* never started a forest fire, so maybe.

Every home user should read the guidelines for the individual and
small office. It is all "good stuff." True, it has all been said
before. Maybe if the government says it people will do it, but
probably not.

The guidelines for the large enterprise, again, are things companies
should know, should have heard, and should be doing already. Again,
maybe they will if the government suggests it. I don't think so. An
example: it took seat belt laws to get them in all cars. Drivers were
not asking for them (and still some people don't use them). For
companies, it all comes down to profit and loss. In many large
enterprises -- and in the Federal Government -- security is always
second place to usability.

The guidelines for the Federal Government itself are the most
bothersome. For example, "establish an Office of Information Security
Support Services within the Federal government..." In typical
government fashion, it solves a problem by adding more bureaucracy. A
concern I have is that the guidelines look at the Government (also
Large Enterprise) as one single entity that can be understood and
controlled, if not tamed. Until we start thinking about
compartmentalizing organizations -- protecting little offices from
*everyone else* -- the problem will remain unmanageable. No government
office or agency (e.g., the OISSS -- blech), no matter how big, can
make sure the entire US Federal Government cyberspace is secure or
that each agency and department in the government is following
regulations.

Recommendations

Here's what *I* think is needed, and not addressed, unless I missed it
(and I might have in all this text).

First, consider regulation of U.S. Internet Service Providers (ISPs),
with the goal of "raising the bar" of security for their networks and
the customers. There are many things that most ISPs can do, from
supporting strong user authentication for access to services, to
encouraging the use of VPNs (rather then discouraging, by rejecting
IPSec packets).

Next, ISPs will require a certain level of security from enterprise
and broadband customers, through adherence to and adoption of
recognized good security. Perhaps dial-up users are below the radar on
this, but every enterprise network and every "always on" high-speed
connection will be required to have a firewall in place and virus
screening, or they cannot be customers. ISPs now police adherence to
acceptable use policies (and use these to kick off "spammers"). This
would just be an extension to the AUP.

While I do not generally like solving problems with regulation, this
is similar to national regulations for auto safety and inspections.
Highways are safer when trucks and cars have minimum safety
requirements.  Is there a cost? Sure. It may be the only way. I
understand arguments against regulation. But to connect to the
Internet, driving proficiency and an approved safe vehicle should be
required and would help protect us all.

Promotions, Self and Otherwise

I have a new course -- developed with TruSecure Corporation -- called
"Investigative Response." Please check it out at
http://www.avolio.com/CourseDescr.html.

Next week (October 14 -- 16) I'll be at "Next Generation Networks 2002
(NTN2002)" in Boston (http://www.bcr.com/ngn/default.asp). On Monday,
I will teach "Emerging Security Technologies for Network Warfare."
Wednesday, I'll moderate a panel -- "The Sad and Increasingly
Deplorable State of Internet Security."

October 29 and 30 I teach "Internet Security Tools and Techniques"
(http://www.avolio.com/courses/tools+techniques.html ) at NIST in
Gaithersburg, MD.

November 11-- 15 I will be at the CSI 29th Annual Computer Security
Conference and Exhibition in Chicago. I'll speak on wireless security,
on applying synergistic controls, and teach the same Tools and
Techniques class.

Check out my speaking and teaching calendar at
http://www.avolio.com/calendar.html and courses and services at
http://www.avolio.com/services.html.

To subscribe, send a blank e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To be removed from this list, send a blank e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Entire contents copyright 2002 by Avolio Consulting, Inc.
Fred Avolio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Avolio Consulting, Inc.
Previous columns: http://www.avolio.com/columns/

IWS INFOCON Mailing List