On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:21:36 +1000, John Maynard passed on the quote:

>What the public knows depends all too often on what part of the truth our
>governments choose to tell.

By some strange coincidence, yesterday I received a form letter and
brochure from Amanda Vanstone, because 'I know you are interested in
Australia's response to refugees'. No doubt many on the list received
the same. The letter contained the following:

'Australia does a great job of the resettlement process. We should not
allow the debate about failed asylum seekers who arrived unauthorised
by boats to detract from Australia's generous and compassionate
refugee program.'

A week or so ago we received a glossy newsletter from our local
member. In it he gave the 'results' of a survey he conducted last year
on how the government was doing.  Naturally there was no mention of
the strong opposition some of us expressed to the govt's refugee
policies. Instead, he said that people were grateful for the govt's
strong stand on border protection. In a private meeting in May 2002 he
told me what a superb refugee assessment process the govt had in place
- which I strongly refuted on good evidence.

On several occasions he has commended me on the research I've done,
and yet continues to perpetuate the myths. Self-interest takes
precedence over social justice.

Sue

Sue Bolton
Sydney, Australia