On Nov 5, 2003, at 1:29 PM, Marco Tabini wrote:
$a = [1,2,$b[11]] is semantically inconsistent.

How so? Is

foo(array(1,2));

semantically inconsistent? On one hand () is used with a language construct (array()), whereas in the other context it indicates arguments to a function. I think that is what he meant by 'grouping' and 'application'.

Similar tokens have different syntactical meaning all over the language. Compare '<<' and '<<<'. To me that is no diffent that <variable>[] and [].

George (still -1, but because it makes for unmaintainable code, not because it's hard to read)