Hi!

> I think there's two ways to address this. One is to deprecate and
> eventually remove the non-wrapped array interpolation syntax entirely,
> requiring people to use the generic "{$array['foobar']}" syntax instead.
> For the sake of consistency, I think this would also include deprecating
> the "$array[0]" variant.

The first part seems to make sense but I don't think losing "$array[0]"
does... I get the consistency argument but I feel most people would
rather have this useful syntax working and not worry about the fact that
it's theoretically "inconsistent". Consistency only helps when it allows
to make useful inferences, something not working is rarely useful
inference.

> The other is to add support for "$array['foobar']" and
> "$array[some(complex(expression()))]" in general, and only deprecate the
> "$array[foobar]" syntax.

This also seems an acceptable option, if we can make stuff inside []
behave reasonably. We probably don't actually need anything really
complex - if one wants complex stuff, {} syntax should be used. I think
primary target here should be simple stuff like numbers and strings
work, all the rest is optional.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com