On 5 May 2020 09:42:19 BST, Arvids Godjuks <arvids.godj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>So in my opinion, a better replacement for uniqid is needed - have it
>generate a bigger string with more entropy and better underline algorithm,
>but it being time-based should be a thing stiff. And do not call it a
>"random_string" or something, cause it's not that :)

A question just got posted on Stack Overflow asking for pretty much exactly
what we've been discussing: https://stackoverflow.com/q/61634022/157957

You're right that the requirements for "random" and "unique" are distinct.
Perhaps what we need is a unique_string function that allows you to specify the
format (length and some control over allowed characters) and uses a mix of
randomness and time (perhaps using the same time source as hrtime()?).

Then uniqid() could be deprecated, and anyone relying on its exact format could
write a polyfill, while people wanting other formats wouldn't need to mess
around with binhex, hexdec, etc.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins