On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:09 AM Peter Bowyer <phpmailingli...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So if we want to do this, let's:
>
> 1. Ask the black community what they find offensive in PHP
> 2. Listen
> 3. Prioritise the responses and judge which are feasible to act on
> 4. Act

This points out the obvious, people are stuck in their own bubble because
Black people _have_ been telling us. The past week I've seen quite the
amount of posts in regards of the github main branch change. Here are some
I saw come by recently:
 - https://twitter.com/techgirl1908/status/1272683477620502531
 - https://twitter.com/roniece_dev/status/1272636145520848896
 - https://twitter.com/mimismash/status/1272619723050622976
 - https://twitter.com/zkat__/status/1272603164454162432

There's a variety of opinions and not everyone agrees that it's something
that must be changed. However, I'm getting the feeling that there's a fair
amount of people who do want to see this changed, and not just to be
"politically correct". As someone linked this on github, I will link it
here as well: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6148600/

"bUt WhAt AbOuT bLaCkHoLe?" - Stop trolling, there's no negative
connotation with this.

It is a decidedly political claim that long-time industry standard term
> with established neutral meaning is suddenly "harmful". And I really
> resent the implication of "the color of our skin means you don't get to
> have an opinion on this topic" that was made here.

It's not "suddenly harmful", people have been speaking up about this for
years, they were simply ignored because the majority are white cishet males
who don't care.

> As white men, we're being dismissive, insensitive and strongly suggesting
> > we don't want change. While people may not feel offended by any of these
> > terms being discussed, this thread alone already serves as reason for
> > people to feel like there's no room for diversity in the internal
> community
> > of php.
>
> The "we" in this is extremely biased, it attempts to force me to feel
> as an inferior human (to steal the term from Larry above), because I
> do not agree with your request for a change. The classification you
> just did there is something I personally would feel offended by,
> because you attempt to use my ethnicity as an argument for why I feel
> the way I feel.

Because white cishet men are treated like inferior people in the
development world /s ... This is not an attempt to make you feel "inferior"
at all. People are (rightfully) pointing out that white people have no say
in what Black people should or should not feel about this. Technical
challenges are no reason to block social progression.

Regards,
Lynn