Hi!

> I've recently found out that compiling PHP with --with-mm has a massive
> negative impact on PHP startup performance (approximately 3-4 times
> slower), to the point that our CI got approximately 2x slower overall with
> it enabled. This is not great.

That's weird. Would be nice to run a profile to see what makes it so
slow. From a quick look on the code it just creates a shared memory
segment, which shouldn't be that expensive...

> As I only found out about the existence of this session backend recently,
> I'm wondering how widely it is used, and whether we wouldn't be better off
> dropping it from php-src. The performance characteristics make it a pretty
> big foot-gun.

It's probably not that well known, especially as I'm not sure underlying
library is well maintained (it has been last updated in 2006 but maybe
it's still good and doesn't need any updates?) but I'd give it a chance
by at least trying to see what's up. If it proves hard then we may think
about dropping it.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com