Hi!

On 3/29/21 4:49 AM, Max Semenik wrote:
On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 1:53 AM Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:

changes should be pushed directly to GitHub rather than to git.php.net.

Would it also make sense if direct pushes (bypassing the pull requests
system) were disallowed completely? I can see multiple problems with direct
pushes:

This is possible. In fact, there are Git bots that make it easier (e.g. prow: https://github.com/kubernetes/test-infra/tree/master/prow) - I am using such system over Github at my $DAYJOB and it's generally working well. It even has its own built-in karma-like system. However, it has some downsides, as the experience shows:

1. Quick management patches, typofixes, release management patches, etc. become more high friction processes. 2. Setup and configuration of such system involves some time investment by some knowledgeable people, and it has certain learning curve (though once it is set up, it's pretty easy to use). 3. Somebody knowledgeable needs to maintain it, as periodically bots can get stuck and need a gentle kick to continue. 4. CI needs to be very stable and clean for having CI pass as gateway to merge, otherwise a flaky test can block all work in the repo for days.
5. Managing multiple active branches can be a pain.

None of these are critical, and we could start small and build it incrementally, of course.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com