On 24 December 2023 12:46:40 CET, Niels Dossche <dossche.ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi internals
>
>I opened a PR [1] to implement Partitioned cookie support, as requested on the
>bugtracker [2], into the setcookie() PHP function. This is done by adding an
>option to the $options array, not via an additional argument to the function.
>The amount of code to support this is tiny.
>
>This cookie option is being pushed by browser vendors (primarily by Google it
>seems) to eliminate third-party cookies [3, 4]. One of the impacts here is
>that cookies marked with "SameSite=None; Secured" without "Partitioned" will
>stop working eventually during 2024.
>
>Although the Partitioned cookie proposal is still a draft, Chrome will apply
>the change starting in January 2024 for a tiny percentage of users (as a form
>of A/B testing it seems). Symfony has already implemented support for this
>option as well [5].
>The SameSite option was also added in PHP when it was still in a draft.
>
>Let me know what you think and if you are okay / objecting to merging this PR.

I've two concerns (none with the PR, as I haven't checked):

- Compatibility:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Privacy/Partitioned_cookies#browser_compatibility
- What happens if it just stays a draft, or doesn't get accepted, or with a
different name?

And also, would/should the PHP function enforce that this should only be set if
for example Secure is set too? And if so, with a warning or TypeError?

cheers
Derick