On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 1:29 AM Máté Kocsis <kocsismat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently, I realized that the stream_bucket_new() and
> stream_bucket_make_writeable() functions
> create stdClass instances by dynamically adding a "bucket", a "data" and a
> "datalen" property to it.

I don't want to stand in the way of you improving this part of Streams, and
I'm really not commenting on your PR at all. BUT.... I would like to
formally ask/give-permission to just redesign file I/O in PHP altogether.
This would be a nice feature drop for 9.0, and we could deprecate the old
stuff in 10, remove it in.... 12?

No disrespect to all the folks (including myself) who had a part in file
I/O as it exists today, but it *IS* a hot mess.  I've sketched out
redesigns with folks over the years, but I have to be honest that I don't
have the spoons to invest in Stream 2.0, nor do most of the
fellow-grayhairs I've chatted with about it.

So please, if you at all feel inclined, burn this psuedo-posix I/O hell we
have to the ground and replace it with the gleaming phoenix that PHP
deserves.

-Sara