On Thursday, 2 May 2024 at 21:33, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:

> On 2 May 2024 13:48:36 BST, Ollie Read php@ollie.codes wrote:
>
> > These methods accept an integer to retrieve a parameter by its position, or
> > a string to retrieve by its name. So far, I have built this so that if you
> > required the first parameter, it's parameter 0. I treat it this way because
> > the only other place where we deal with parameter indexes, is
> > ReflectionFunctionAbstract::getParameters() which returns the parameters
> > zero-indexed.
> >
> > The question that is holding this PR back is should these methods be 1
> > indexed, so that the provided position is consistent with the error
> > messages, or how a person would typically count, or should they be 0
> > indexed to remain consistent with the existing API.
>

> 0-indexed, as that's what PHP does everywhere else.
>
> cheers
> Derick

Well not really, if you have an error (TypeError or ValueError) which indicate
what parameter is the problem, it will be 1-indexed.

Which, for me, makes it more logical to have it 1-indexed.
If the ReflectionFunctionAbstract::getParameters() API did not exist, this is
what I would have pushed for.

Moreover, PHP already has a 1-indexed and 0-indexed discrepancy with the
ob_get_level() and ob_get_status() functions.

In the end, I don't really care what we choose, but this just needed
clarification from internals on how to proceed.

Best regards,

Gina P. Banyard