On 05/08/2007 12:36 PM, Marcus Boerger wrote:
The point is to make local URL wrappers working, not only phar://.
Stanislav and Tony have a point, writing a custom extension to fix a
problem that we introduced is a bad idea and does not solve the
problem for anyone else but phar. If phar will be bundled or not does
not matter, this problem has to be solved anyway.

Right Pierre, as you said, this is a different thing that might have
to be addressed anyway. However phar is a real life thing that needs
to be working.

Besides, Phar is neither a custom extension - at least i do not see
either Greg or me as PHP customers. Nor was Phar designed to solve
that particular issue alone. It was designed to deliver a stable and
fast implementation of PHP_Archive that can be bundled into PHP as
a C extension.

But the main argument for including it that it's going to solve the newly
created problem.
I.e. PEAR and all the other phar packages work perfectly fine without it.

Guys what I don't understand is why some few people bicker around
Phar so much, just because they have no private use for it?

If you're talking about me, then you should know that I'm not against
Phar/Greg/you or PEAR.
I'm against including new PECL stuff in the core and I've repeated that several
times already.
Things should go the other way round - from the core to PECL.

In the past we have bundeled even stuff that has not been stable or in a
mature state.

Well, THAT is a nice argument.
We've fucked it up in the past, let's do it again, huh?

And I have not seen a single reason against it.

I have not seen a single reason FOR it either.
The only half-valid reason is that phars will stop working in PHP6 because of
the streams breakage.
But that's definitely the reason to fix streams, otherwise we'll have to include
each & every extension using custom streams.

Now adding Pecl/Zip was a clever idea as it allows an easy way to
compress stuff on the fly for sites that offer downloads. However
this is a) far far away from a mainstream problem and b) we should
not eventhink of turning it into a JAR and hack around PHP all over.
Let's just go with Zip/BZip2/GZ (a sane offer of choices) for on
the fly packing and Phar for deployment. And if some people want to
execute phars directly, then why the hell make it hard for them or
even disallow that?

--
Wbr, Antony Dovgal