On Tue, December 4, 2007 2:18 pm, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
>>> 1. Always compile it in but leave undocumented #ifdefs in place for
>>> performance freaks.  Those same performance freaks aren't going to
>>> care
>>> about the binary compatibility issue since they are the same people
>>> who
>>> build all their own stuff.
>>
>> Note that breaking BC is not only about performance - one your build
>> is
>> not the same as mainstream PHP, you can't use any binary extension
>> which
>> would do anything non-performance-related - like interfacing some
>> external system/library, debugging, profiling, testing, security and
>> so on.
>> Any commercial module won't be available for the user of this
>> switch,
>> and all open-source modules one'd have to build by oneself, which
>> may be
>> serious maintenance issue. I know there are a bunch of companies
>> that
>> compile PHP with their own options but still use commercial modules,
>> including both performance and non-performance ones. They couldn't
>> use
>> this compile switch.
>
> Yes, I know what binary compatibility means.

Call me crazy, but...

Would it be possible to hard-code the bit that adds the 4 bytes to the
zval, but make the execution bit a flag so that binary compatibility
is always there, but the executable code that does the GC can come or
go as needed?...

Or am I just talking nonsense due to ignorance?

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?