suitable to enterprise level development. it's merely a case of
not being able to please everyone all of the time (or of not having your cake

PHP is pretty good with pleasing people (including enterprise developers) as it is now, and will get better in 5.3 and 6 - without any strict typing. So this argument is not exactly in your favor - burden of proof is on new feature proposals, and bigger the feature - bigger the burden.

I also seem to remember (forgive me if Im mistaken) that you we're a
proponent for the increases in strictness surrounding various things related
to OO. that feels rather hypocritical at some level.

Like what? You don't expect me to have same opinion to all proposals, do you?

you implied in another post that php should have some kind of structured
direction.
how about a language spec and a formal functionality proprosal/acceptance
mechanism?

Yes, I'd be happy to see it happening. No, I don't have time to create it. If you do - you know where to find a text editor and docbook build system ;)

(preferably one that didn't allow major changes like the inclusion of
namespaces into
a minor release)

5.3 is a "major" release from a lot of aspects, don't let the numbering fool you. It is generally accepted that waiting for PHP 6 to make any change would be too long. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a number between 5 and 6 for a version number, so we'd have to settle on 5.3.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]