On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 12:48 -0500, Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 12:41 -0500, Sam Barrow wrote:

> > > IMHO, optionally inclusion of type hinting for functions/methods can
> > > only be a boon to code quality and readability. IMHO when a type hint is
> > > provided and a parameter doesn't match the type hint then I think a
> > > fatal error should occur. This forces the user of the function that has
> > > type hinting to ensure their data is of the correct type. This prevents
> > > accidental wrong data conversion. However, I see the other side of the
> > > coin too where automatic type conversion could be desirable also.
> > > Perhaps a mixed solution would be viable?
> > >

> > I don't think conversion would make sense here, as PHP will
> > automatically convert the variable before you use it anyway. Hinting
> > will prevent mistakes, conversion will just try to ignore them, which is
> > what PHP does already.
>
> I think that depends on what I do with the variable. PHP doesn't know
> how I intend to use it, and if I know I want an int and I don't want to
> test for browserland garbage in my variable everytime the function is
> called, then an automatic type conversion to int for my function can
> make perfect sense. Yes, I could force the developer using my function
> to cast the parameter as an int, but I'm certain conversion in the
> engine without a userland cast is faster, and it makes it more
> convenient to the consumer of my function since they can still treat it
> like a classic function.

Yes, but whatever you do with it (echo, store in db, etc.) PHP will
perform its default conversion routine for the variable type. You have a
point though, this is something that I've actually been debating for
some time:

function a(int $a, cast int $b) {

}

$a must be an int
$b will be cast to an int

I just think this is getting a little bit too complicated. Many people
on here are resistant enough to scalar type hinting because they say
it's confusing, they'll definitely be even more resistant to something
like this.