On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 09:31 +0100, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Steph Fox wrote:
>
> > > As with so many topics on this list, I have no authority to influence
> > > the outcome. I personally think they've all got rules to instantly
> > > delete my email (but that's cause I'm paranoid).
> >
> > That's rubbish Richard - in some ways you're the most important person on
> > the
> > list. Odd, eh?
> >
> > > I think allowing the the hints and them to be enforced if E_STRICT is
> > > set is the way to go.
> >
> > Speaking as a -0, I tend to think that's a bit too close to a +1. But others
> > may think otherwise.
>
> I still we should add simple static typehints (ie. just the types that
> we use in the manual) - and they should behave in the same way as the
> other type hints that we laready have.
>
> Derick

True, but we have to consider the fact that we don't have enough support
on that side.

I think the scalar type hint is a perfect compromise. I don't see
anybody arguing, as I said to some people, the most compelling arguments
against type hinting are pretty much void for just a scalar type hint.

It's not int, float, etc. but it's much better than nothing.