On Mon, February 18, 2008 7:45 pm, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> The idea here is that we want to be able to cache opcodes, classes and
> functions and optimize them out of the runtime context so the executor
> can skip creating classes and functions on every single request.  A
> lot
> of the traffic on this list over the past couple of months seems to
> ignore this basic premise.  Features such as autoload and runtime
> object
> manipulation incur a huge performance hit in the sense that they
> change
> something that was free before and not only add the cost of the
> feature
> itself, but it also means the object in question now can no longer be
> cached and has to be created on every single request.
>
> This doesn't mean we can't consider such features, but people need to
> also consider the performance implications.

Many users need opcode caches and performance is crucial...

Many MORE don't, really :-)

Perhaps those who need caches can devote the resources to simply not
use dynamic constructs that will break their caching mechanism, for
many of the features, rather than simply not letting the features
exist for those who don't need caching that badly.

Whether dynamic method construction or trait addition is such a
feature is beyond me, of course, but it's worth considering whether
the feature will make it ALWAYS slower, or only slower if one is silly
enough to use it when one shouldn't.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?