Marcus,

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 17:14 +0200, Marcus Boerger wrote:
> Hello Derick,
>
>   it is a BUG FIX. Not fixing it means more people will turn it into a
> feature and we will never be able to remove it. Becuase next time you
> will say we cannot remove it in a minor version as by then you accidentally
> rely on it yourself.
>
> We made a mistake! Lets stand up and admit we did. Probably I was involved
> in making that mistake, so sorry. Done.

I have to agree with Derick here we shouldn't add a fatal error within a
bug fix release at such a place. People (hosters...) tend to update
versions without checking all incompatibilities - since you don't expect
them and they want to get security issues fixed.

Yes, the previous behavior was wrong! Yes we shouldn't encourage people
do do that.

I'd propose making it an Warning or something in 5.2 and fixing it in
5.3.

johannes