Lars Strojny wrote:
[ forgot to sent that to the list ]

Hi Philip,

Am Dienstag, den 20.05.2008, 12:55 -0700 schrieb Philip Olson:
[...]
PHP 5.3 is approaching fast, so let's conclude our dealings with magical quotes... this should be the last time. Please have a look at the following RFC and discuss it within this thread.

   Magic Quotes in PHP 5.3 and beyond
   - http://wiki.php.net/rfc/magicquotes

It recommends changes to both 5_3 and 6_0 branches, namely, removing E_DEPRECATED from the get_ magical quote functions. Silence means you're okay with the RFC being implemented.

Why should we leave get_magic_quotes_gpc()? If someone wants to be
backwards compatible, just use
if (function_exists('get_magic_quotes_gpc') and @get_magic_quotes_gpc())
Let's just add this to the manual, and everything is fine.

I don't see a problem with this at all and it has the advantage of
allowing use to remove all the traces of magic quotes in 6. Magic quotes
are considered a bad practice for a long time.

We have covered this a bunch of times already. magic_quotes_gpc are gone, but we leave in the function that tells userspace code that they are off. get_magic_quotes_gpc() will always return false which means that thousands of applications out there will run unchanged and will simply take the magic_quotes off code path.

I see absolutely no reason to force people to go through and change:

if(!get_magic_quotes_gpc())

to:

if (!function_exists('get_magic_quotes_gpc') || !get_magic_quotes_gpc())

when there is no technical reason to force them to do so. It is slower, more verbose and completely useless.

-Rasmus