On 17.07.2008, at 20:03, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

Hi!

Greg's argument seems sound to me. With the proposed change errors are less likely and more transparent in case they happen (for people using

No, they won't be transparent at all. If you use Exception and forget to put "use ::Exception" in each and every of your files, you get exhaustive search of include path (not helped by bytecode caching, btw - all bytecode caches I know cache existing files, not searches for non-existing ones) on each mention of Exception. You can not see it - on the surface, everything works fine. Then, when you think your code is fine, you run profiler and boom - you see 200 file accesses where there should be none.

autoload that is). At the same time people who care about performance can still work around this behavior (then again those that care about optimizations on this level probably do not use autload to begin with).

What's wrong with autoload? You sound like autoload is somehow contrary to performance, which is not true.

So I guess the point is .. autoload is there for convinience, so lets make it as convinient as possible.

I don't see how having internal class mention trigger exhaustive autoload search is "as convenient as possible". For me, it is a huge landmine under every PHP application trying to use namespaces - forget one use statement and boom, your performance is gone. If you want to do that, you better force using ::Class everywhere - this way at least there's a way to know where it will blow up without running system call traces on every piece of code.

For this issue it seems like there is nobody that has enough "inertia" to change the current status quo. As such it seems to me like we should go to alpha1 as is. I hope that namespaces have enough buzz that we quickly get feedback after alpha1. We should do as much encouragement to get people to test namespaces as possible.

At the moment namespaces is probably the feature that makes me most nervous. Followed by GC and the re2c change.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]