2009.10.12 20:55 Carl P. Corliss rašė:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> On 12.10.2009, at 18:57, Mark Krenz wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 04:27:02PM GMT, Pierre Joye
>>> [pierre....@gmail.com] said the following:
> [snip]
>
>>>  But I'm willing to bet that the majority of people are using ereg, not
>>> PCRE.  I've known about PCRE in PHP for a while now, but I continue to
>>> use ereg because I thought it had better support in PHP and that it was
>>> the more "official" function. Guess I was wrong.  I'm sure I'm not the
>>> only one who thought this.
>>
>> Maybe try to substantiate that argument with a google code search or
>> something. Personally I have seen quite the opposite, then again I have
>> been actively encouraging people to use preg since about 5 or more years
>> now.
>
> Code Search of: "eregi?(_replace)?\( lang:php" shows ~123,000 results
> Code Search of:
> "preg_(filter|grep|last_error|match_all|match|quote|replace_callback|replace|split)\(
> lang:php" shows ~374,000 results
>
> Looks like preg_* functions are used more often than ereg* functions to
> me...

preg_quote() and preg_last_error() are support functions. They are used
together with other pcre functions. You double some search results.

If you have to support something, it is not about statistics. Even 1% is
important. Before you use statistics against something, remember that
statistics can be used against you too. Everyone of us is one in seven
billion. Any person is just 0,000000014% in Earth statistics.

--
Tomas