Eddie Drapkin wrote:
What you're proposing is just forcing __call, _callStatic, __get and
__set into a single method, which does nothing to reduce the amount of
magic, only obfuscate it.  And it certainly offers no alternative to
"__cast", at least not that I can see.

I agree, moving all magic to a single function doesn't help the situation at all, it simply complicates it.

All this talk of "too many magic functions" is a little comical, its all trying to overcome operator overloading type functionality in other languages.

__get()/__set() would be equivalent to getters/setters supported by the c# language

__toString(), __toArray() would be equivalent to operator String() in c++ ( if I remember correctly )

I would definitely love to be able to, at the very least, cast an object to an array but I figured a more general purpose __cast() would be most beneficial to all.

I think the ambiguity question for some functions accepting mixed as a parameter type could be solved in aforementioned ways.