Hi,

I would like to ask everyone that wants to see some new feature in the next
bigger PHP update to create an RFC on the wiki. I have to check why the
register link [1] disappeared from the login page (anyone with a php.net svn
account can just login without registering). Ideally we will simply cherry pick
the features for the next release from the old todo list [2] as well as mature
RFC's.

Personally I also think that we should make sure that we do not spend months in
this planning stage. If we do not yet feel ready to do the big leap to a new
major version number, since we cannot play the "lets drop some BC" card in
every release, then we can of course just bump the minor version number for the
next release. Even if we do not solve unicode with the next release we already
have plenty of good proposals on the table. But focusing development again on a
single branch and the willingness to review our approach to unicode I think we
can move forward again either way. So I am suggesting that we should aim to
have a solid release plan (schedule and feature set) done no later than end of
April.

Personally I would like us to be able to look towards the first alpha for this
new version in Q4 2010 or Q1 2011, but that is of course something that is up
for debate. Obviously if we give ourselves a more or less specific timeframe it
also limits the number of features we can deliver. But I think we should really
become a bit more disciplined in this regard and maybe even work towards a semi
regular cycle for new releases. I really like how PostgreSQL is doing things in
this regard. Of course they still slip the dates at times, but so it goes (but
they do not slip a few years .. just a couple of months). The important bit is
that with regular releases contributors feel more like they will actually see
the solution to their "itch scratching" released before they move on to other
"itched to scratch". It also means that if a feature doesnt make it into the
release plan for the next release, developers will at least have a rough idea
for the timeframe when they will have another chance to get a given feature
into PHP. Plus it will make it easier for others (like distributions and app
developers) to work with us. Most importantly it will spare us running into the
situation we had with PHP 6 and 5.3 in the future where because we had time
finishing up something we just end up piling features up for years making the
release process a nightmare.

I would also like to bring up another point. Since we are now on SVN (and there
are nice bridges to DVCS for those that want to use them), we can now also more
easily enable developers to work on complex or risky features in a branch
instead of trunk. So for example if we feel like it will take us too long to
come up with a unicode plan, then I would suggest to leave it out the next
release and simply have the people that have an idea for an approach create a
branch and work things out there. This way normal development in trunk can
commence.

But again, I really do hope that we can however wrap up the debate up by end of
April.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org