Hi, Jonathan,

On 7/01/11 4:42 AM, Jonathan Bond-Caron wrote:
- New ideas are always welcome

That's great to hear!

- Don't write long e-mails to a mailing list, write an RFC
http://wiki.php.net/rfc?do=register

Sure. Once I've digested and responded to Stefan's replies, I'll work on
putting something up there.

Perhaps this advice would be worth adding to the mailing list rules
page, as nothing about post length is mentioned there at all; it only
talks about attachments.

- Don't overuse the word 'simple'

IMHO, if something is simple it should take 1-2 days to create a
patch. That doesn't seem to be the case with what you're proposing.

But feel free to prove me wrong :)

Yeah, well, I meant simple conceptually, and relatively speaking, not
that it wouldn't take time and effort. I don't think I'll be proving you
wrong! But as I said, I am willing to get my hands dirty with this.

Creating a patch will help getting feedback about what you're proposing
http://ca3.php.net/reST/php-src/README.MAILINGLIST_RULES

I hope I haven't broken any of the mailing list rules, but my apologies
if I have, and please point out specifically where I've gone wrong.

As far as a patch goes, I don't think that is appropriate at this stage.
I don't want to spend a lot of time creating a patch only to have it
rejected if this could be avoided by a little discussion. My time is too
valuable to me to waste like that, and with something as controversial
as this, there's a real danger of that happening.

Cheers,

Ben.