I completely agree.

The current PHP 5.4 source tree (a.k.a. trunk) already has *major*
enhancements. Just look at the NEWS file.

I think it's a mistake we don't start a release cycle. If we try and get too
much into this release it just won't happen.

The typehint stuff which has no consensus should be reverted and we should
start pushing forward with a release. Things which people wanted to get done
and didn’t (e.g. Pierre asked for another 3-4 weeks to do some more Windows
work (about 4-5 months ago which I don’t know if ever happened) should not slow
down a release and be marked as nice-to-have – if it doesn’t make the train it
can wait for the next version; if they do, great.

Btw, just performance and memory use itself is a good enough reason to push a
minor release and every day that goes by where we prevent people from getting
their hands on it is a day we're warming up the planet faster. This is between
16-20% faster and on average 30% lower memory usage (the latter is the more
exciting change thanks to a lot of memory optimization we did; with a release
cycle started and people testing/comparing we may be able to squeeze even more
out of it). I’d also like to see some of the work around making mbstring a
configurable option out sooner rather than later…

My 2 cents. We can work closely with an RM to move things forward and ensure we
push out a lot of the really good stuff that was done.

Andi