On July-10-11 1:16 PM Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 10.07.2011 19:03, schrieb Philip Olson:
> > What this means to ext/mysql:
> >
> > - Softly deprecate ext/mysql with education (docs) starting today
> > - Not adding E_DEPRECATED errors in 5.4, but revisit for 5.5/6.0
> > - Add pdo_mysql examples within the ext/mysql docs that mimic the
> > - current examples, but occasionally introduce features like
> > -  prepared statements
> > - Focus energy on cleaning up the pdo_mysql and mysqli documentation
> > - Create a general "The MySQL situation" document that explains the
> > - situation
> >
> > The PHP community has been recommending alternatives for several
> > years now, so hopefully this won't be a new concept or shock to most
> > users
>
> sounds reasonable and i would love to be not forced loading
> "mysql.so" AND "mysqli.so" because some peopole are using
> legacy code and unwilling to maintain their stuff

Sure, some users in the PHP community are aware of this desire.

We're talking about tons of developers, vast amounts of legacy code
written over 2 decades - longer than many in that same community have
been alive.

Most developers "out there" are not remotely aware of this.

IMHO, it doesn't matter how early the education gets started or how
much time and sugar is used to coat this, it'll be a bitter pill for
a very large group of people.

This needs to be thought out very carefully.

Best Regards,

Mike Robinson