Hola friends,

Nice feedback so far, and the PHP documentation will begin implementing
the ideas presented here, and focus on mysqli but also recommend pdo_mysql.
Therefore, the ext/mysql documentation will be improved to strongly
recommend the preferred alternatives that have existed since PHP 5.0.0.

We'll work on the finer details but it feels like procedural mysqli is a
better fit to live alongside the ext/mysql examples, although we don't want
to confuse people. Maybe geeks here have ideas regarding this, but a clear
useful clutter-free solution will be worked out, which may include adjusting
the CSS and involve creative linking. I'll add an example or three soonish.

However, there has been some confusion within the PHP community, so to help
ease these concerns:

 - This proposal only deals with documentation/education... so it can be
   described as an official 'soft deprecation' (no errors or code changes)
 - When (if?) this extension emits errors, or is removed, is not part of
   this proposal
 - There is a 100% chance that additional tasks and ideas will be discussed
   in the future, which might include:
   - A conversion tool/guide
   - A wrapper
   - A PECL extension
   - Talking to distros/hosters and apps like wordpress
   - ...
 - php.net understands that ext/mysql is popular, and we're handling this
   with extra care and heck, parts of *.php.net is powered by ext/mysql
 - Seriously, no need to panic

We'll document the reasons why the other MySQL extensions are preferred, but
if people want to use the old ext/mysql API with PHP 9.0.0 (just an example)
then I'm guessing an old geek out there will make that possible. We, however,
will do our best to convince users to move towards the preferred and
supported methods, and hopefully write better code along the way because
honestly, that's the ultimate goal here.

Regards,
Philip