On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Kalle Sommer Nielsen <ka...@php.net>wrote:

> Hi Sebastian
>
> 2011/8/10 Sebastian Krebs <sebastian.krebs.ber...@googlemail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > From time to time I'm looking over the existing RFCs and I'm wondering
> what
> > happens to them. For example "Property get/set syntax" [1]. As far as I
> can
> > see its already accepted for PHP6 [2], but now it seems to be orphaned.
> In
> > my opinion it is a very nice enhancement, that helps to get rid of the
> > Getter/Setter-mess. Are there any plans?
>
> This RFC by Dennis was never 100% finalized, however from what I
> remember it was suggested too late in 5.3's development process to be
> implemented, and so do I think we are in 5.4 already as the RFC would
> need some extra care before sent to the list, perhaps even a patch for
> parts of it.

Type hinting is for instance not covered (should imho at least be on pair
with function signatures).

> The RFC itself evolved quite a bit doing its drafts on the wiki, I
> remember having long emails with Dennis about the syntax, as it
> evolved to allow many more things and additions to the object model,
> like final properties, interfaces with properties, getters, setters,
> .... But in the end I think it would rime greatly with traits and
> other goodies in 5.4 if someone took the time and care for this RFC,
> just worried its way too late already.

On 6.0 todo list:
There are lots of things that would be nice additions to php on the 6.0 todo
list*.
If all these have been voted for in the past, I'll suggest that they could
be worked on in upcoming 5.x versions as well leading up to an eventual 6.0
version.

*eg:

   - Property overloading RFC aka abstract/virtual properties and get/set
   handlers (derick) (related?)
   - add support for type-hinted return values. *caugh*
   - add ability to allocate persistent zvals in PHP.
   - add support for files >2GB once native 64bit integers are implemented
   (pierre,wez)
   - APC
      - include APC in the core distributions (turned off by default) and
      switch to mmap as default shared memory storage.
      - ability to move autoloaded main classes in apc's class lookup
      preventing the overhead of doing the inheritance process all the time.
      (marcus)