GitHub (and Bitbucket) have made forking a social endeavour - it's meant to be a noisy space of code forks for collaboration just as Stas mentioned.

Bottom line: *if* a DVCS is adopted - enhancing policies and a process that supports little additional burden on maintainers is required. Having those in place would seem to address the most prudent fear in this conversation.

Just because somebody uses DVCS / Github / Bitbucket; doesn't entitle them to anything more than before. It's just another means to collaborate in a more rapid manner; with updated tooling.